Imagine you are a single runner. Even if you have been happily married for years, picture the following scene. You are out for a solo training run on one of your favorite trails. Up ahead, you catch a glimpse of the most attractive runner you have ever seen. This is your moment. This is your one chance to say something witty and strike up a conversation. You can’t afford to chicken out with a simple, “On your left” as you run past never looking back. You also can’t afford to be unoriginal. “Are your legs tired? ‘Cause you have been running through my mind all day?” is cliché and will not separate you from the pack. Your mind races as you try to remember all the cheesy pick-up lines you laughed about with your friends. Should you be funny? Sincere? Direct? Original?
You begin to panic but fortunately you are a subscriber to the Run The Edge blog! (We are here to help in all aspects of your running life including running romance.) At the last moment you remember one of the following pick-up lines just for runners. You say exactly the right thing, sweep this super attractive runner off his/her feet, and run away happily ever after.
Disclaimer: Use the following pick-up lines at your own risk.
After reading this list you will probably wonder how either of us ever got a date!
- Dang it! My coach told me not to get my heart rate over 160 today but then I saw you!
- What’s your PR (Personal Record)? If you go out with me, you will be mine!
- You can stop chasing your dreams. I am right here.
- Was that an earthquake or are you rocking this run?
- You run like DSL. How can I get high-speed access?
- Roses are red, violets are blue, would you mind if I ran with you?
- Do you know karate? ‘Cause you have a great finishing kick!
- (At the end of a race) I am like chocolate pudding. I look like crap but I am sweet as can be!
- I hope there’s a fireman around, ’cause you’re smokin’ fast!
- Apart from being a running gear model, what do you do for a living?
- I am not sure if it was this run or you that just took my breath away.
- You run faster than my nose in allergy season!
- Since distance equals velocity times time, let’s let velocity or time approach infinity, because I want to run all the way with you. (For the nerdy runner.)
- My love for you is like an ultra-marathon. It goes on and on.
- Your voice is so beautiful, you make fartleks sound appealing.
- When it comes to love I am in it for the long run. Want to join me?
- On a scale of 1 -10 you are a 26.2!
- When I log my run in my journal today, it will say I ran 10 miles with my future wife/husband.
- My name is Garmin. Will you take me running every day?
- Excuse me… Do these shorts make me look fast?
Like all pick-up lines, these are just as likely to get you slapped as they are a date, so be careful out there!
Can you think of any other pick-up lines that might work on a runner?
–Adam and Tim